Friday, May 27, 2011

Winter in America

Today has truly been an emotional one for me.  Logging on to twitter only to read that the great Gil Scott Heron has left the body totally caught me off guard.  Gil Scott has always been apart of my life.  Next to my parents, Malcolm X and Gil Scott Heron has always kept me aware/awake.  I have listened to brother Heron plenty of times and cried because of how his music has touched me, so today was no exception.  I couldn't hold it in and I just cried while listening to Winter in America it moves me in so many ways

When I about 22 I remember my good friend Nubian came over with his Gil Scott Heron Live DVD and we watch it till the sun came up, talking about the revolution and all things related.  It was such a special night to be able to connect with someone in such a healthy spiritual way while listening to the smoothness that was, is, and will always be Gil Scott Heron.

A few years ago my mother, sister, boyfriend and I had the privilege to see him perform live out here in Denver.  When we heard he was coming, there was no way we would miss history right before our eyes.  I'm not saying this because it was Mr Heron, but he put on an excellent show.  The live band and his voice live was hypnotizing.  I even got to speak with him and tell him thank you for making great music.
He will be missed dearly and I wish this was not the news for the day but it is life.
I love you Mr. Heron and I promise I will see you next life time. Rest in Power.

No comments:

Post a Comment