Thursday, January 6, 2011

Graff Lab, Los Angeles, California

These are some images I took at the Graff Lab in Los Angeles, California.  It is a a place where the kids can go and hang out to stay out of trouble.  When we got to the Graff Lab we were fortunate to meet the director of the Lab and he told us about the place and L.A. Gang Tours.  The gang tours are intresting.  When I first heard of the L.A. Gang Tours I pictured a bus full of at risk teens being educated on why they should choose a different way of life.  My sister that lives in Cali and my boyfriend and I actually arrived at the Lab when a Gang Tour where going on, it was nothing I expected.  It was a bus full suburban middle class white women and their suburban middle class children, it seemed odd, a spectacle if you ask me.  I wondered what could they have possibly told these people? Where they taking them around town to places where notorious gang members were murdered so they can "oooh and awww"?  I don't know.  They even allowed the people to take pictures with the tour guides who were all former gang members.  Maybe they do have at risk kids they take on the tours I just wasn't there at the right time.  
Over all it is a faboulos place and I absolutley LOVE it and I want to visit it everytime I visit California and some day I want to be a contributor (not as a graffiti artist).  The graffiti artist contribute something like $20 or more and then they can come and paint on the walls, the walls are repainted on every so many months for the new contributing artist.
The director even told us personally his plans on the biggest Michael Jackson mural.  One thing I always remember he told us about why he was doing it was not because MJ was the King of Pop, but because he helped so many children in his lifetime.  He talked about the good things MJ did and how much money MJ gave to so many organizations.  
I think that is a dope way to remember someone.


 







No comments:

Post a Comment